How businesses meet their legal obligations
The Companies Office contributes to an efficient and transparent [DOCX, 267 KB] New Zealand [XLSX, 8.5 KB] business environment. Businesses can meet their legal obligations online in a simple and cost-effective way, and everyone can view and search information and documents..
The Companies Office delivers regulatory services digitally, reducing compliance costs and enabling business efficiency.
In doing so, the Companies Office makes it easy to do business in New Zealand.
The core role of the Companies Office is to operate statutory registers. These registers fall into 4 broad categories.
|Corporate entity registers||Charitable Trusts
Limited Partnerships (New Zealand & Overseas)
|Capital markets registers||Auditors
Financial Service Providers Register (FSPR)
|Secured transaction register||Personal Properties Securities Register (PPSR)|
|Business register||New Zealand Business Number Register (NZBN)|
We’re the authoritative source of information about New Zealand businesses and we are focused on making New Zealand a fair and easy place to do business by:
- providing easy-to-use business registers and accessible information
- protecting the integrity of the information on our registers
- taking enforcement action where necessary.
Our purpose is to enable businesses to operate easily, to ensure transparency and to prevent the abuse of corporate structures.
We do this by:
- helping businesses to know, understand and comply with the law
- providing online systems to make it easy for businesses to manage and update their records
- making access to our public data freely available
- ensuring registered entities meet their regulatory obligations
- reducing government duplication in data collection and record keeping
- supporting counterpart agencies in other jurisdictions.
We aim to:
- enable people and businesses to make more informed economic decisions by delivering available, up-to-date and comprehensive information
- reduce government duplication in data collection and record keeping
- increase the ease with which our customers can engage with our services
- improve the level to which registered entities meet their obligations
- support counterpart agencies in other jurisdictions.