If your limited partnership has ceased doing business, you can apply to to the Registrar to deregister the limited partnership and have it removed from the register.
Authority to apply for deregistration
To apply for deregistration of a limited partnership, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Business Registers
- authority to manage your limited partnership.
Public notice of intention to deregister a limited partnership
The Registrar is required to give public notice of the intended deregistration, and provide a period of 20 working days for any objections to be made by the public. The notice is published on the Companies Office website and the New Zealand Gazette.
The applicant is notified of the date of publication at the time they lodge their documents. A letter is sent confirming the date the Registrar intends to give public notice of their intention to deregister the limited partnership from the register.
Waiting for any objections
Once the notice has been published, the public has 20 working days to object to the removal of the limited partnership. Anyone can object during this time, as long as their objection is for a reason defined under section 321 of the Companies Act 1993.
Removal from the Limited Partnerships Register
If we've received no objection after 20 working days, the limited partnership will be removed from the register as soon as possible (generally the next working day).
How to apply for deregistration
To remove a limited partnership from the register, the general partner, limited partner, or any other person permitted by the partnership agreement is required to complete, and upload, the following form.
This form must be signed by the applicant.
The form must also be accompanied by written notice from the Commissioner of Inland Revenue stating that the Commissioner has no objection to the limited partnership being deregistered.
To apply for deregistration:
- Log in to your online services account.
- On the dashboard, select the limited partnership you wish to deregister from the 'My Businesses' list.
- From the menu, select 'Maintain Limited Partnership' and click 'Request to Deregister'.
- Upload application to 'Deregister a Limited Partnership' (Form LP8).
- Upload letter from Inland Revenue.
- Upload any supporting documents and click 'Submit'.